Are We Walking to Alaska

Are We Walking to Alaska
Are We Walking to Alaska - A True Story

Friday, February 2, 2018

Leucistic Red Tail Hawk

A leucistic animal is one that is missing some of the  pigments, but not all pigments.  Albinos are missing all pigments and have pink eyes - but the missing pigments are random in leucistic.
 We first saw this leucistic Red Tail Hawk four years ago.  It was not as close as this time and I didn't get very clear shots of it back then.  Four years ago we saw it two weekends in a row and though we have driven out to that area and searched for it - have not seen it since - until early December.
 Don turned down a road that we don't usually drive on - and there was the hawk - perched right by the road in a small tree.  I have been asked for the directions to the area, but I hesitate to give the directions, as there are those who will foolishly hunt for the rare bird with the intent of killing it for a trophy.  The less people that know about the bird, the better for the bird.  So it is our secret.
I had almost given up hope of seeing the hawk again, figuring that perhaps it was more visible to predatory birds because of its coloring.  We were so happy to see him again - and so glad he is still flying free and spending another winter with us.


19 comments:

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

A great find again and Mum's the word!! Have a super weekend.

Joyful said...

What a fantastic find for you and your husband. I agree it is better to keep the whereabouts of the bird secret. Better for the bird that way.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, it is a beautiful Hawk. I can not imagine someone trying to take the bird as a trophy! That is awful! I would not tell people where you see this bird. You can enjoy it that much more! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your day and weekend!

Lea said...

Wonderful!
Have a great week-end!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Nice to have a visit from an old friend!

Mary said...

He's really stunning JoAnn and I agree with you regarding keeping his hunting area a secret - there are some cruel people out there when it comes to birds and other wildlife.

I have never heard the term 'leucistic' before - but in my bird guide it does say this particular hawk's colors range from "chocolate brown to nearly all white" which surprised me. We have red-tails around here but they have always appeared as just brown with the reddish tail feathers. I do hope this beauty stays safe for many more years.

Great photos - can tell you, like me, spend a lot of our time seeking and photographing our beautiful winged friends. My next challenge will be in Patagonia next month when I'm really hoping to see Andean condors!!!

Stay warm - hope it's drier there now.
Hugs - Mary

Tom said...

...I love to see them soaring!

Breathtaking said...

Hello!:) I'm glad you saw this beautiful Hawk again. It might be leucistic, but it's still a beautifully marked hawk, which seems to be doing well, and surviving the hazards of it's unusual appearance.
Many thanks for sharing.:)

carol l mckenna said...

Beautiful photos of the Red tail hawk ~ very creative!

Happy Weekend to you,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Wonderful photos!! Thanks so much for stopping by!!
Hugs,
Deb

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How amazing and of course even more so to see him again! WOW! That would be neat to see. Enjoy your weekend sweet friend. Hugs, Diane

Victoria said...

What a stunning bird, I hope he continues to stay safe.

The Furry Gnome said...

That is amazing!

Judy Biggerstaff said...

Stunning shot and aren't you the lucky one. Beautiful!

A Colorful World said...

He's a beautiful bird, and you are so fortunate to get to see him! Great photos!

Linda said...

Great photos of the red tailed hawk.

Angie said...

I learned something new today ... thank you! And I agree with keeping him safe; it makes me sad we have to think this way!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Oh I'm glad he came back -- very interesting information for me... I didn't know about leucistic ... I have so much to learn!

Julie Fukuda said...

I think true birders are smart to hesitate to whom they give information. Even a sudden mob of people may turn the tide the wrong way and I have heard that people hanging out taking pictures and eating snacks, dropping food around attract crows, who, when the people have left, attack the very subjects.