Are We Walking to Alaska

Are We Walking to Alaska
Are We Walking to Alaska - A True Story

Friday, September 12, 2014

Personal Photo Challenge - Movement

There is a lot of water in the Pacific Northwest - lakes, rivers, bays and the ocean - and there are a lot of kayaks.  I love the rhythm and beauty of the rowing - with the action and the colors too.
There are Kayak Clubs in our area - they often get together for a game of Kayak Basketball 
 This game was at Lake Padden, a city park  in Bellingham.  These were taken with my little point and shoot Canon.
The motion of the waves in the sunlight - taken with my Canon Powershot SX30IS - landscape setting 
And then the kayakers came into view.  They were all beginners and having lessons in kayaking on the ocean 
Back to Lale Padden - this was the same camera - action setting.  It allows me to take multiple shots quickly, without waiting for the review. 
The slower kayakers don't necessarily need the action setting 
A great day for a smooth kayak ride.

14 comments:

bj said...

Amazing photos for this challenge. I love them all.

Peggy said...

Kayaks always look so colorful on the water - and it looks like so much fun, too!

The Furry Gnome said...

Hi JoAnn, I like your blog, looks interesting. And kayak basketball is a new one on me! Good pix of 'movement', especially that third last one.

Anonymous said...

Oh JoAnn(love the spelling-that's how I spell my name too), loving these "movement" photo's, what beautiful scenery you have. I've always wanted to see Alaska, and thanks to you we can enjoy. I'm new following.

Anonymous said...

wait I've been reading here, and I jumped ahead of myself(whoops), I see your in Washington state, my mistake, I apologize, I mind got stuck on Alaska from reading bout your book.

Donna said...

Bodies of water always provide abundant opportunities for movement subject matter. I can't imagine playing kayak basketball, LOL! These are really nice action shots and my favorite is the one with the fellow moving the paddle. I can see concentration in his face! Thanks for joining in with the challenge again!

Jeanne said...

Only in the Pacific Northwest would there be a game of Kayak baseball!! Well... maybe in far northern Wisconsin. Nice shots.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

These are all beautiful. It's very neat to see the close up and the paddle in motion! Beautiful water and colorful boats...perfect for the challenge!

Kay said...

I especially like the glittering sun on the water. (We've had such a beautiful summer I love seeing every minute of it!) It's nice to see so many people out enjoying life.

eileeninmd said...

Pretty waterscapes.. The kayaking looks like fun! Happy weekend!

Mary said...

Any movement on flat water is calming and peaceful. Nice pics JoAnn, and of course I know Lake Padden as my Bellingham friends live close by there.
I love kayaking and wish I lived on a lake. Some of my fellow voyagers to Antarctica participated in ocean kayaking - they were young and brave. It did look awesome and was exciting I know - wish I'd signed up for that experience…….and lived to tell about it, haha!

Hugs - Mary

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I have always admired those who kayak. I have never tried it, but this makes me Want to give it a whirl! :-)

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

I love your capture of the fellow in the red jacket. He looks pretty intimidated and appears to be trying to keep from rolling over. At least he's giving it a try, I've thought about it and that's as far as it went.

Lorrie said...

Beautiful photos for this challenge. Water is always a great subject and I love the way you've captured the sparkles on the water. The kayaker is really working his paddle!