Are We Walking to Alaska

Are We Walking to Alaska
Are We Walking to Alaska - A True Story

Friday, April 11, 2014

A Trip to the Tulip Fields



The  tulip  fields in  Skagit (sounds like gadget) Valley are just beginning to bloom.  We made a trip down recently to see what was blooming - found a few, but they will be better in two or three weeks.  The tulip festival, which lasts all month, started that day, but it was cloudy and drizzly so the traffic was unusually light - plus most people are probably waiting for sunnier weather - hope they get some.  The tulips in yards and near buildings were blooming better than the fields.
But first some daffodils.  The farmers rotate the fields that grow tulips and daffodils each year - we'd never seen this one before.  They use every bit of land and here they have planted all around some evergreens in the field.
Rows and rows - acres and acres - of daffodils. The scent on a warm day is fantastic.
Fields beyond the fields - more daffodils.


The tulip fields were just beginning to bloom - but the bulbs planted in the yards are in full bloom.  It is much warmer in the yards than in the fields.
Pink tulips are my favorite!

Rows of barely blooming tulips with a daffodil field in the background

Just beginning to open


Red tulips are my favorite - ok - so I said pink ones were - but who can resist a red tulip?

This yard is beautiful every spring
The  gardens are circled with fishing net floats and small logs
White daffodils and two orange tulips
Sunshine!  I am sure that yellow tulips are my favorite!
And to top it off - a beautiful lavender azalea.

5 comments:

Kay said...

S-o-o-o-o gorgeous! So you did go down to Skagit Valley after all. We went to Pike St. Market yesterday and were really knocked out by all the tulips that the flower vendors were selling. Not as pretty as the acres of them growing as far as the eye can see, but plenty dazzling.

J said...

Amazing! There's nothing like that here.
I'm with you - my favorite color? Pink! No, wait! Yellow! No, never mind! Red!

sweetbriardreams said...

We have the same over here in Lincolnshire, UK. The daffodils are now making way for the tulips and the pink ones are my favourite... followed by the purple and white... I think!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Stunning!

Candy S said...

I always buy the mixed colors when I am shopping for tulips. I can never make up my mind which color i like the best for more than a day or two. Today I think yellow is my favorite until tomorrow then I may change my mind again.