Are We Walking to Alaska

Are We Walking to Alaska
Are We Walking to Alaska - A True Story

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Sandhill Cranes in Wisconsin



We just got back from Wisconsin, where we had a nice visit with Don's cousins and their families in Waukesha, and went to Northern Wisconsin for Don's 50th class reunion.

The first day there, on the way to breakfast with cousin Bob, we spotted a Sandhill Crane in a small park along the Fox River, right in town. Everyone assured us that the cranes were everywhere, but just in case, I had to stop and get some pictures. This was the first Sandhill Crane that I have seen up close - such excitement.

Then when we were in Northern Wisconsin we saw a lot more Sandhill Cranes. Mostly they were in fields of hay that had been recently cut - looking for food. They would sometimes be close, and sometimes far, but with my 140x zoom on my camera I got some great shots. It was so exciting to listen to them and watch as they walked about, finding tasty tidbits in the hay. Those birds can move fast, with those long legs. I often had to focus the camera ahead of them to catch them as they moved forward.





In the nature preserve we saw a big flock of the Sandhill Cranes in hay fields. We counted over 45 in the flock - but were only close enough to get a picture of these.




This crane seems to be eating something off the plants - berries I suppose.

This is the only picture I got of them flying - their wingspan can reach up to 6.9 feet.


Their beaks are so big they look like swords. I was told that they are vicious and will attack if you get too close - we stayed a good distance away.




Wait until you see what these cranes do next!

1 comment:

joanne said...

wow, what gorgeous creatures! I didn't know about their huge wing span and fighting tendencies. Can't wait to hear more..;j